Want to satisfy a Chinese food craving without breaking the calorie bank? Try making a healthier version of your favorite Chinese dishes at home! Increase the nutritional value of your dish by cutting back on the oil and incorporating low sodium sauces, extra vegetables, and lean proteins. I put a vegan spin on the traditional Chinese Ginger Beef and Broccoli by using Gardein Beefless Tips, and I made sure to use lots of fiber-rich, nutrient-dense vegetables which help promote post-meal satiety. With a home-cooked meal this satisfying, the only thing you will be missing from your Chinese food experience will be the fortune cookies.
Chinese Ginger Beef and Broccoli with Rice Noodles
– 1 tablespoon canola oil
-1 large onion, chopped
-3 cups broccoli florets
– 1 cup shredded carrots
– 1 package of Gardein Beefless Tips
– 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
– 1 tablespoon sherry cooking wine
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons water
– ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
– 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
– 2 cups cooked rice noodles
– 2 tablespoons sesame oil
– ¼ cup unsalted peanuts, if desired for garnishing
1. Place canola oil in a large wok over high heat, and add chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add broccoli florets to wok, and cook for 3 minutes before adding shredded carrots, Gardein Beefless tips, minced garlic, and ground ginger.
3. Reduce heat to medium, and cover the wok with a lid to steam the vegetables before continuing to cook.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together rice vinegar, sherry cooking wine, soy sauce, water, vegetable broth, and flour to make a stir-fry sauce.
5. Pour stir fry sauce into the wok, and continue to cook on medium heat until sauce thickens.
6. Add cooked rice noodles to the wok, and stir to coat with sauce and vegetables.
7. Divide evenly onto 3-4 plates, and sprinkle with crushed peanuts to garnish before serving.